Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Art Quilt Elements 2 -- more pieced quilts


More pieced quilts today from Art Quilt Elements.

Bonnie Bucknam, Ripple Effect, 84 x 41"

I've known Bonnie for years and have had the pleasure of sitting right next to her for two weeks at a workshop.  Even with that very close view, I remain in awe of her ability to sew complicated, irregular curves together and make everything lie perfectly flat!  She's been riffing on geological forms for some time, but this is the first in a new series inspired by topographical maps.  Whatever the subject, her jittery curves and zigzags are masterful, enhanced with great free motion quilting.

Denise Roberts, SISU #2, 60 x 60"

A strong composition with low value contrast, giving a somber tone.  It's intriguing to see how the different pieced shapes merge into larger areas, obscuring the four-patch construction.

Diane Melms, Crossing Paths, 33 x 47"

The simplest of motifs, a cross, executed in different variations and sizes, is strong enough to carry a whole quilt, with cheerful clear colors and well-managed value shifts.

Still more pieced quilts in the next post, and then I promise I'll write about some other kind!  There are other kinds of quilts, I know.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking the time and thought to do this. It's just mind-stretching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to figure out how the ladder work was done by Cher Cartwright, Chutes & Ladders. I'm, just branching out into the abstract and love that inspiration. I don't know if I have the ability or the patience to hem tiny squares...if that's how it was done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn -- actually it's not that hard to do ladders -- just time-consuming. shall I do a fast tutorial?

      Delete