Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Paris museums 8 -- Americans at the Pompidou

I was mildly surprised at how few American painters were on display at the Centre Pompidou.  I know this is a European museum, and the Europeans were always a bit miffed to see New York supplant Paris as the world capital of High Art, but still...

Jackson Pollock, of course, but not his famous drip paintings.  One early work, one late, neither of them "signature works."

Jackson Pollock, The Moon-Woman Cuts the Circle, 1943

Jackson Pollock, The Deep, 1953

Mark Rothko, Untitled (Black, Red over Black on Red), 1964

Jasper Johns, Figure 5, 1960


















Apologies for the truly terrible photo, which shows me reflected in the glass as much as it shows Johns' beautiful brushwork over newsprint.  But his number paintings are among my all-time favorites, so I had to show it.

Cy Twombly, Achilles Mourning the Death of Patroclus, 1962 

I'll show you more in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment